I’ve been eating these energy balls for a while and when I posted a picture on twitter last week declaring that I make the best energy balls around, I had a few requests for the recipe.

‘Recipe’ is a bit of an overstatement for the way you make these balls. You throw four or five things in a mixer, mix and then squish them together. I don’t measure how much of each item, I just do what looks right.

energy-balls

Eating one on the run

If you’re up for an adventure in the kitchen, here’s the rough guidance you’ll need.

Ingredients

• Dates (take the pits out or pay over the odds to have them taken out for you)
  • Peanut butter
  • Oats
  • Peanuts
  • Maple syrup (just a spoon full will do).

That’s basically it. Mix them, shape them into balls and chill them in the fridge. They’re not sticky so will happily sit in a sandwich bag together and keep their shape. Wrap them in cling-film to carry them around on their own.

A packet of dates costs me 59p, a few spoons of peanut butter can’t be more than another 50p and the other bits are usually in the cupboard. I usually get 7-8 balls out of a packet of dates, so my rough, finger in air estimate is that these cost about 15p each to make. Not bad for something that takes 10 minutes to make.

There you go, my future as a home economist and a food model is sealed.

2017-06-23T07:39:35+00:00 10 March 2015|

7 Comments

1. Scallywag March 10, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Are they tasty? They look pretty bloody tasty.

2. Emma @ Life's A Runner March 10, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Energy balls are my FAVE snack – they are just so fun to eat! I’ve tried a whole heap of them at this point, but never with dates – lack of a food processor will do that to you. Do you think this would work with a regular blender?

• Lazy Girl Running March 12, 2015 at 9:03 AM

I use a Magimix mainly but have also used a hand blender. It takes longer but works ok. You’re just aiming to cut the dates up really small, not purée them.

3. Emily March 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM

These sound so good! As I’m beginning to run longer distances I’ve been looking around for energy ball recipes – I’ll definitely be trying this one!

4. Jacqueline @ Mam On The Run March 16, 2015 at 8:26 PM

I’ll give them a go, but I’m a little nervous I’ll choke to death mid-run. Also, must remember to take the uneaten ones out of my shorts after my run!

5. Abi April 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM

Hi Laura! Ive just made these and they are amazing! I ate half the mix before even putting them into balls! Id not long before had porridge and toast either….energy for days!!!

Comments are closed.