It’s a close call between what I like more: running or watching American sitcoms. I’d actually like to live in a perpetual cycle of doing one or the other with the only interupptions to this being the occasional power nap. I’d also need someone to bring me food but I’m pretty confident I could negotiate a supermarket shopping App out of the corner of my eye while doing either activity. If it wasn’t for things like having to go to work or maintain links with friends and family, my life would be pretty sorted if all I owned was a pair of Brooks, a sports bra and a TV.
The Big Bang Theory is in my Top three US sitcoms. So imagine my excitement when I first watched the episode ‘The Cruciferous Vegetable Amplification‘, Penny and Sheldon go for a run (or at least attempt to). It’s fair to say that most runners are either a Sheldon or a Penny. Here’s there exchange:

Sheldon: Where’s your heart rate monitor?

Penny: I don’t have one

Sheldon: What about your pedometer?

Penny: I don’t have one.

Sheldon: Do you have telematics in your shoes connected to your shoes connected to an iPod?

Penny: No.

Sheldon: But what do you do? You just go out there and gamble about like a bunny?

Penny: No, I just run ‘till I’m hungry then I stop for a bear claw.
Sometimes it’s good to be a Sheldon, and other times you need to go out there and run like Penny. However I don’t edvocate stretching like Penny is before a run. Or at all really. I’m definitely more of a Sheldon whenit comes to gadgets and round-number-mileage OCD, although I’ve just looked up what a bear claw is and that does sound like the sort of post-run reward I’m down with too.
Are you a Sheldon or a Penny?
2017-06-23T07:40:30+00:00 8 August 2011|

7 Comments

1. maggiee August 8, 2011 at 10:33 AM

I think I’m in a transition phase at the moment, moving from a Sheldon to a Penny… Post Marathon, I got so fed up with seeing how slow I run and how far I hadn’t gone that on many runs I ditched the garmin and just ran… However, I am always a Penny when it comes to rewarding myself (possibly too much) and I am SO going to find one of those Bear Claws when I’m in NYC later this month with or without the added running!

2. laurenblake August 8, 2011 at 7:30 PM

I’m definitely a Sheldon. If I don’t log the run, it doesn’t feel official and “doesn’t count”. P.S. I love reading your blog. I just started last week, but it’s really entertaining. 🙂

3. Gluten Free Runner August 10, 2011 at 5:17 PM

I must a a Sheldon. I like hearing every time I have passed a mile marker in my ear. That voice that says my pace for that mile. I do NOT run till I want a Bear Claw, being gluten free I can’t :). I just run to run. but in one way I am like Penny. If I happen to do a better time, awesome, if not oh well. I do what i can in my limited time I have for running. Who are you though? Penny or Sheldon?

4. abradypus August 12, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I’m a Penny with a side of Shelton. My training plan was definitely written by Penny, but if it doesn’t have a gps map, it doesn’t count as a run.

5. LazyGirl August 13, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Yep, more Sheldon for me too. Glad I’m not the only one.
    Laura.

6. fortnightflo August 25, 2011 at 8:49 PM

I’m Sheldon but I WANT Pennys post run reward NOW!

7. Anna September 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Pre-buying Garmin – Penny.But didn’t so much stop when I was hungry, just waited till got home for a post run carb-fest! But since getting it last week becoming increasingly reliant on the Garmin and more Sheldon-esque… Although beforen I did still log my runs, if I felt they were a bit below par I used to knock down the milage I wrote down…

Comments are closed.